Monday, November 10, 2008

My First Experience with Chili

Children's ministries put on a chili cook off this past Sunday. The point was for you to make your chili bring it in to be judged, as well as donate money to eat, this is a way for Children's ministries to earn easy money and it is enjoyable. Well to make a long story short, Keith had asked me to make Chili because they were afraid that there would not be enough chili to go around. I went to the store on Thursday night to purchase all that I would need to make this chili in hopes that it would be good. Since they were worried about having enough I decided that I would buy enough stuff to double the recipe. As I got to the check out counter of the second store I have realized that I had spend about $50.00 on ingredients to make chili. As we were on our way to church on Sunday, my lovely husband the believer that he is asked me in doubt, are you going to enter your chili into the contest. I said well I guess I won't unless there is not enough and they can judge mine as well. However I continued to say that I thought it was good, definitely spicy, but missing something. Anyways my husband entered my chili into the contest for me. As the judges were judging they had one person for the blue ribbon prize, and three people tied for 2nd place with an honorable mention. As they were announcing the winners before the dinner, they went all the way through the line of who was first. Guess who was called on for tied in second place? that's right, this girl. I was surprised that they enjoyed my chili that much. My husband was very happy (and he doubted me:)). I was told that if I enter it next year there is a good chance that I would get first place!!! I thought that I would let you share in my joy of first time chili making as a hit!

2 comments:

Heather said...

I am so proud of you!!!! You are turning into such a little Martha Stewart. Isn't it funny how much something like that means to us. We tell ourselves that it is no big deal, but there is so much satisfaction in knowing that someone else thinks you did good. Can you imagine what place you would have gotten had you added the beer.....maybe next year we will have some tipsy judges.
Congrats!!!!!!

Emily said...

That's awesome! I wish I was there to have tried it too... (btw, Heather's comment about the beer made me laugh!)