Monday, March 8, 2010

Great to see you this morning, what's your name?

It is interesting to find out how visitors are greeted and feel about it. This weekend it was great to have Keith's cousin and family up. Saturday night was full of DMB and laughing at the kids. Sunday morning was church, lunch, and back at the house to talk and laugh at the kids more. Little Audrey all weekend wanted to tell her joke, but couldn't work up the nerve. So yesterday we finally heard it, "What did Tigger see when he looked in the toilet?" "Pooh" Audrey just thought that was the funniest thing, she was laughing before she could get the joke out.
After hearing her great joke we began to talk about the service. One thing that was brought up was the way that they were greeted. Yes they had some hand shakes during the "meet and greet" time. But other than that there were a selected few that actually introduced themselves or made them feel important.
See I struggle with this every Sunday myself. My excuses are not good enough but here they are.... a.) I'm shy, everyone knows that. b.)What if I have introduced myself before, but was too busy to remember. c.) How many times have they been here, what if I have never noticed them before and now I will look like a bone head. I think I would feel just as unwelcome if it took someone 3 weeks to finally notice me. I always want people to feel welcomed as I would have wanted. I am really wanting to work on my "meet and greet" skills.
Here is the question..... How do you greet someone (not knowing if they have visited before) and make them feel special? Now this could be a step in becoming a member, huh? Learning how to greet new comers.

No comments: