Wednesday, May 12, 2010

My baby is growing






This week as I have switched Londyn to 0-3month clothing rather than just Newborn, I have began to reflect back on these last 5 weeks of her life in this world. I don't remember much from the day she was born, whether it was the spinal I was given for surgery or the fact that the moment was so surreal I am not sure. I do remember her being brought into the room at the hospital for her nightly feedings, sharing her through out the day with friends and family. I also remember that first week home with her and wondering how I am going to be able to do this. How could I be trusted with her life? As I held her that first week and her body was still stuck in a little ball from the lack of room she had in the womb.
Now she can lift and hold her head, half roll over, following objects placed in front of her, and recognize our touch and voices. On Tuesday Keith came home for lunch and was spending his time with her. She laid in his arms watching everything he did, smiling at things he said, and even responded with a kiss when held up to his cheek. Now when holding Londyn she can wrap herself around me, rubs my skin, and tries to react to what I say. I am loving all of the new things that I see in her. We are learning what works for her, what each cry means, and to cherish every moment.
As I was searching some lyrics on youtube I clicked a related song from Heartland- I loved her first (was written from a fathers perspective, but all the same) . I am realizing that she will be going to preschool in a year, kindergarten in 5 years, high school in 15 years, college in 19 years, and getting married shortly after that. I am not sure that I am ready for that or that I ever will be. I just want her to forever love and admire me, never be too cool for me, and always want to curl up in the "sleeping" chair and sleep the morning away.
Parenthood is an amazing blessing that I thank God for every day.

As I celebrated Mother's Day for the first time I realized that for the mother it is not about getting praise and thanks, but rather it is a day that I stand in awe in the opportunity to parent my sweet Londyn. I look for many years of cuddling, shopping, walks, playtime, dress up and whatever else two girls can do together;).

My sweet Londyn is growing very fast and tonight I am reminded to slow down and enjoy the moment. Speaking of which, she is sound a sleep in my arms. Tonight we will cuddle together in the chair until morning comes.

No comments: